Death Of Al Barnett

My post:
Uncle Alan you may be gone but you will never ever be forgotten, you will always be in our hearts and our thoughts.
I am devastated that I have never had the opportunity to meet him and now I will never have the chance.
I have fond memories of Uncle Alan when I was young he used to phone every year to speak to us at Christmas time. 

It has only been recently that I have discovered the amazing work that Alan and Robalyn did, I am truly inspired by the Bite for a Byte program, as a Primary Teacher myself this charity foundation really struck a chord with me. I would be very greatfull to have the opportunity to visit Al,s Diner and to see the work that Alan did for the local schools and community in Daveo city.

Kind regards

Kirsty Barnett - Alan's niece (Chris Barnett's daughter)

Two Thousand Maybe Dead


Philippine authorities yesterday doubled the number of dead and missing in deadly floods to more than 2,000, as relief groups rushed in aid for desperate survivors.
Water, toilets and other facilities are all urgently needed to head off potential epidemics, UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) spokeswoman Angela Travis said.
“The water situation is still difficult and we are worried about what this means for their health,” Travis said, adding that damaged tap water systems meant firetrucks had to deliver to the camps.
Nearly half a million people require immediate assistance, UN agencies estimate, including nearly 50,000 at evacuation centers and those reduced to living with relatives and on the streets.

Grenade in Mabuhay Village

 Four children were wounded when a live ammunition from a 40-mm mortar exploded in a village in the southern Philippines early Sunday afternoon, the military said Monday.
The kids were playing when the explosive from an M-203 grenade launcher went off in Mabuhay village, Tandag city in the southern province of Surigao del Sur around 2:30 p.m., said Maj. Julio Eugenio Osias IV, spokesperson of the army's 4th Infantry Division.
Osias said the live ammunition could have been from the leftist New People's Army (NPA) rebels who on Friday raided the village hall where soldiers doing community works were resting. The rebels killed five and wounded two other government troops.
Osias did not elaborate on how the explosion was triggered.

533 died and 309 remain missing

Disaster agencies on Monday rushed to deliver body bags, food, water, and medicine to crowded evacuation centres in the southern Philippines as officials considered digging mass graves for hundreds killed in weekend flash floods.
The national disaster agency said 533 died and 309 remain missing, while the local Red Cross put the toll at 652 killed and more than 800 missing.
Casualties from the flashfloods exceeded the more than 450 people killed in 2009 when a tropical storm dumped heavy rains on the main Luzon island, inundating nearly the entire capital Manila.
Typhoon Washi slammed ashore in the Mindanao region of the Philippines while residents slept at the weekend, sending torrents of water and mud through riverside villages and sweeping houses out to sea.
In the aftermath, radio stations and local governments have been deluged by calls and appeals from survivors asking for help to bury the dead or find missing relatives.
"My suggestion is, so that illnesses won't spread, let's have mass graves," Benito Ramos, head of the national disaster agency, said in a radio interview. "This will be the discretion of local governments and the DOH (Department of Health)."
"From the helicopter, we saw four major river systems, all houses along the riverbanks were totally destroyed."

Al From Als Diner In Davao City


It is with regret we announce the death of a well known and industrious expat living here in Davao City. Al was always helping schools and assisting in many charity operations. In fact a percentage of his takings from the famous Al's Diner went to charitable projects in and around Davao City.

Al had been suffering from a heart condition for several years. This December 2011 he died.

Below you will see a video that if you look closely includes Al outside the diner.

Child Porn In Davao

Influential persons are behind a syndicate using children here to sell pornographic materials mainly through the Internet and this was the reason the illegal operation persists, a nongovernment organization (NGO) working for children’s welfare said.
Bernardo Mondragon, of the NGO Alert Davao, said the information came from three victims, who were recently rescued.
Mondragon would not identify who the influential persons were but said some of them are “people in authority.”
Based on the accounts of the victims, Mondragon said the sex syndicate would recruit children—preferably males aged 16 to 17—and use them in making pornographic films.
The filming is done in small houses along the Davao Gulf with the use of cameras, laptops and spotlights.
The rescued victims, he said, gave the exact location of the shanties where the pornographic films are being produced.
He said sometime in June this year, police raided a house in Sasa here, seized pornographic materials and arrested several suspects.

Flooding And Deaths In Mindanao

Flash floods sparked by a tropical storm in the southern Philippines have killed more than 200 people and left hundreds missing, officials say.
Many of the victims were asleep when it struck Mindanao island, killing many in Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro.
Tens of thousands of people have fled to higher ground, the authorities say.
Benito Ramos, head of the national disaster rescue agency, said reports were still coming in and the casualty figures could rise.
Mr Ramos said the floodwaters had risen alarmingly fast overnight as people slept.
"Massive flooding had been reported over the region, especially in Iligan City and Cagayan de Oro City," he said

Boy Freed By Police

Philippine police stormed a kidnappers' hideout and rescued a 4-year-old American boy who was held for ransom for eight days, officials said Friday. Five suspects were arrested in the second recent case of a kidnapped U.S. minor in the Philippines.
The boy, who was living with his Filipino mother and American father, was seized in Manila on Dec. 6 by three gunmen who cut off the car he was traveling in with the mother, said Isagani Nerez, head of the police anti-crime unit.


Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2102639,00.html#ixzz1gnL9qmng

Australian Kidnapped

 Philippine security forces found bloodstains at the coastal home where suspected Muslim militants barged in and dragged an Australian man away in the latest of a rash of abductions in the restive south, officials said Tuesday.
Police said Warren Richard Rodwell, 53, may have been injured when at least half a dozen gunmen took him away late Monday in a sparsely populated village with no guards less than 2 miles (3 kilometers) from the shore in Ipil town in Zamboanga Sibugay province.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

There was an error in this gadget