Leptospirosis in Davao


A 56-YEAR-OLD resident of Samantha Executive Homes in Matina Pangi, Davao City, which was hit by massive flooding on June 29, died shortly after midnight Wednesday due to leptospirosis.
According to the Department of Health (DOH), leptospirosis is caused by a bacterium called Leptospira interrogans. People are infected by this disease through contaminated animal urine that is usually transmitted through flood waters. It can enter the body through lesions in the skin, eyes or mucous membranes.


Davao Region has the most number of leptospirosis cases in Mindanao in the first six months this year, according to the Department of Health (DOH).
The disease surveillance report of the DOH from January to June 25 disclosed that Davao Region recorded 56 cases, a 107.4-percent increase from last year’s 27 cases.
The deadly infection, which is commonly transmitted to humans from water that has been contaminated by animal urine, downed three people.
The figure placed Davao at third in the reported nationwide cases of 521, behind Western Visayas (131) and Bicol Region (64).
The heavy rainfall and flooding in Davao this year may have contributed to the high number of leptospirosis cases in the region, Health Secretary Enrique Ona said on Tuesday.
“The rainy season is just beginning, so we are reiterating our advice to the people to prevent leptospirosis by avoiding, as much as possible, wading in floodwaters, and to wear boots if it cannot be avoided,” said Ona.

No comments:

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

There was an error in this gadget