A total of 53 people have died due to dengue in Northern Mindanao, the regional health office said Tuesday.
The Northern Mindanao's health office said that the 53 dengue deaths were among the 4,932 cases of dengue recorded from January to August.
Dr. May Demegillo of the Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC) said that because of the increasing number of cases, the hospital has been forced to put 2 patients in one hospital bed.
Demegillo, a pediatric specialist, advised parents to immediately bring their children to the hospital at the initial detection of fever.
She said that there was a patient brought to NMMC who was initially diagnosed with urinary tract infection, but it turned out that the child is afflicted with dengue. "Hindi na by the book ang symptoms. Hindi na dapat ipagwalang-bahala," Demegillo said.
Based from the Department of Health's latest update, a total of 54,659 cases of dengue with 429 deaths have been reported nationwide as of August 14.Dengue fever cases in the provinces continue to rise despite the Department of Health's (DOH) intensified information campaign on the disease.
In reports gathered by ABS-CBN Regional Network Groups in Northern Mindanao, Davao City and Negros Occidental, a total of 77 dengue patients have died since January up to the month of July.
The DOH's regional office in Northern Mindanao said a total of 3,307 dengue cases with 44 deaths have been recorded in the region from January to July 23 this year.
Jaime Bernadas, DOH-Northern Mindanao director, said the figure is more than 200% higher than the 858 dengue cases with 10 deaths during the first 7 months of last year.
On Tuesday, 6-year-old CJ Anasta of Himamaylan City, Negros Occidental died due to complications from the disease.
Before Anasta, dengue patient Jay-R LLena, 14, from Talisay City died last July 14.
Provincial health office records showed that a total of 10 dengue patients have died from dengue in Negros Occidental from January to July 17 of this year.
A total of 1,302 dengue cases have also been recorded in the province, which is a 193% increase compared to the 444 cases reported during the same period last year.
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte on Wednesday expressed alarm over the increase in the number of dengue cases recorded this year.
Duterte said that based data from the city health office, a total of 2,782 people have been diagnosed with dengue from Jnauary to this month. A total of 23 patients have already died.
"I'm calling on all Davao City residents to join our clean-up drive this Friday," Duterte said. -